Monday 18 October 2010

Hmmmm Blogging...

This is my 4th blog and I thought it was time for me to write my opinion on blogging.  At the moment I actually have mixed feelings on it and think sometimes it can be fun whilst other times it is quite long and boring.  I understand that it is a good way of making sure I understand the lectures, but isn't that what my notes show?

A blog is usually part of a website or is a website itself.  They are interactive and allow people to view it, leave comments and message each other over widgets.  Most blogs will be based upon a certain topic or subject and provide opinions and facts on it.  Other blogs may be personal diaries.  The blogs will usually include; text, images and links.  Blogs have become increasingly popular throughout the media and public as it allows people to freely express their opinions and allows others to comment and add their opinions.  I have first hand experience on writing a blog (obviously)  therefore I have decided to blog my opinions about good points and bad points of blogging.

The reasons why I like writing a blog is the fact that I can express my opinions on a subject and also it allows me to review what I learnt during lectures, this means I get a thorough understanding of a certain subject.  I also like writing a blog as it means I can use my own writing style, it does not have to be formal and more importantly I can actually write in the first and second person.  I can also express opinions and ideas that I might not have been able to in my lectures.  It is also personalised and individual which I like as it means I can design it the way I like and with my preferences.  I love the way that it allows me to research different video and images and import the ones which I think are good and relevant.  I also gather different facts by researching the topics online.  Finally the main reason I think blogging is good, is due to the fact my lecturer can access it and give each individual student her opinion.  This allows us a chance to improve the blogs and to possibly get a higher grade.

However, I do believe there are some disadvantages to writing a blog.  Firstly it is quite time consuming.  I mean some blogs like this one is quite simple to write so it does not take very long, however others that include links, research and different facts can seem more like an essay then a short lecture summary.  I also think that as it does not have a word limit it is hard to know when a blog is too long or too short, if it waffles on or if it doesn't actually have a point to it.  This could mean that time is wasted producing a blog which is not very good.  I also think that as we are told to blog after every lecture that if we become ill or miss a lecture, it is going to make us one blog behind everyone else which is not good. Also this blog assignment lasts for the entire year therefore I think it is more likely people will get bored of doing it and will find it more of a chore then a hobby. Finally I also think that even though this is being graded it does not actually seem like an assignment, more like an extra curriculum activity (even though it isn't) therefore it is more than likely people will not actually complete it or leave it to the last minute.

Considering all of these points I think that doing a blog is a good idea.  It is different to other assignments and is definitely more relaxed.

Blogging Is Actually OK!

1 comment:

  1. Really, really useful to get your insight into the disadvantages of blogging. I have cut the task down from 20 postings to 12 to try to make it less of a chore and to avoid boredom setting in. Let me know what you think after Christmas

    ReplyDelete